Wednesday 16 October 2013

Music, Medicine and Musings.

Do you ever judge a person by their taste in music?

Death Metal - disturbed people
Country – peaceful people
Jazz – classy people
Blues – sad people
Bollywood – dreamy people
Honey Singh – Punjabi people

Yeah, the list pretty much goes on. I never thought about it, but now that I pen this down, it’s true; lots of people do judge others according to their music taste. To some extent I will admit I still do. Like, dating a death metal guy is a roller coaster ride. What people think about them is pretty much true. Seriously. Just leave them with their own kind. No offense death metal lovers.

But now, I have realized it’s unfair. Because I like so many genres it made me wonder how people would judge me. I have come to the conclusion that it all depends upon the mood. I have my quiet moody moments with Coldplay and Norah Jones, my country moments with Keith Urban and Blake Shelton, my club and house music moments with Flo Rida and Swedish House Mafia, my classics moments with Beatles and Lata Mangeshkar, my fun with friends moments with Honey Singh, my exam moments with Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, my girly feels moments with Taylor Swift and Christina Perri and Avil Lavigne, my soothing moments with Ed Sheeran, my Assam love moments with Zubeen Garg and Papon and Whoa that’s a huge list of moments.

I guess I am not classy for the lack of Jazz in this list of mine. I cannot describe myself as a hardcore fan or something like that for all these artists and bands as I haven’t followed them from the beginning or have posters of them or worship them or know their life histories. But I can honestly say I love their music immensely.

Okay steering back to course, how on earth will someone judge a person like me?(I assume there are lots of people who like a variety of genres like this). Good music, bad music, trashy music, crap music, why bother labeling the music or the person. If that particular kind of music lifts your mood, makes you happy, makes you sing along, then no one has any right to call it trash. Classic example would be Justin Beiber. That poor guy has been really harshly targeted. I am not a huge fan of his work but I won’t say its crap either. (yes I am a closet Baby listener).

Music has the ability to make the burdens of the world feel lighter. It takes you to an alternate world where everything is okay.  It’s true when they say the lyrics make sense when in love. The lyrics also make sense when heartbroken. They make sense when depressed, they make sense when exhilarated. Music is directly connected to our souls and when the emotions are heightened it works its magic.

When things go really bad and you need an out, listen to Fix you by Coldplay. That song has magic healing properties I swear.

When matters of the heart trouble you, Dark Paradise by Lana Del Rey. Such powerful lyrics.

When optimistic and full of hope Imagine by John Lennon and Paradise by Coldplay. These songs never disappoint.

And in my opinion the ultimate song a guy can dedicate to his girl is Cinema by Benny Benassi. It shows how versatile a girl can be and how versatile and interesting love can be, almost brings out the latent romantic in me.

Hey there Delilah will always be a favorite, for so many reasons. At some point or another in life someone special has mentioned this song and will always have such fond memories.

And then there are those songs which you can’t bear to listen to anymore because you to associate someone then special with that song. That is a list I would rather not tell. Such power lies in music, that one tiny note of those songs can rip open a healed wound or a scar or a bruise.

Being a medical student I would also mention that Music and Medicine is an integrative forum for clinical practice and research related to music interventions and applications of clinical music strategies in medicine.
This month’s issue has two fascinating case studies.
1.        Effects of Music Intervention on Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis in the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Hospitals

The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of live music or music listening interventions on pre- and post-measures of patients' blood pressure, pulse rate, pain, and anxiety. The results showed significant improvements in blood pressure and pulse rate and statistically significant reductions in pain and anxiety for patients in both music interventions

2.        A Pilot Study on the Effects of Orff-Based Therapeutic Music in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder

This study was conducted to determine the effectiveness of Orff music therapy on social interaction, verbal communication, and repetitive behavior of children with autism. Five children with autism who had no previous experience in music or play therapy were recruited. Social interaction, verbal communication, and repetitive behavior of the participants were scored pre- and post-intervention (Orff music therapy) using Autism Diagnostic Interview–Revised. The mean scores of social interaction were 26.60 and 14 before and after therapy, respectively (P < .001). The mean scores of verbal communication and repetitive behavior was reduced significantly (P < .05). The reduction in the scores indicated a good outcome. All participants improved significantly in their social interaction and verbal communication. The Orff music therapy also helped to decrease their repetitive behavior.

On that slightly deeper knowledy note, I sign off.

PS- Needless to say exams are 28 days away and I am stressed. Hence the ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment